New York (HedgeCo.Net) – Hedge funds rebounded strongly in May following April’s and March’s losses to finish the month up 1.12%, Eurekahedge reports. All hedge fund regional mandates ended the month in positive territory and since January 2013, investors have allocated $ 200 billion of new capital to hedge funds.
On a year-to-date basis, North American and European hedge funds lead the table with returns of 3.20% and 2.15% while funds investing in Japan were the only one in the red, down 1.44% after suffering four consecutive months of losses earlier this year.
Other highlights include:
- Hedge funds are up 1.88% year-to-date, with the current AUM of the global hedge fund industry at a record high of US$2.1 trillion.
- Long/short equities funds record their 18th consecutive month of positive net asset flows with net capital allocations at US$50.7 billion year-to-date.
- The Eurekahedge Billion Dollar Hedge Fund Club have delivered performance-based gains of US$17.1 billion while seeing net capital inflows of US$34.4 billion year-to-date.
- On a year-to-date basis, event driven strategies lead the tables with gains of 3.96%, while posting performance based gains of US$6.5 billion and attracting US$7.6 billion in new capital allocations.
- Emerging markets focused hedge funds delivered the best monthly returns in May, up 2.13% with India mandated funds delivering strong gains.
Hedge funds ended May in positive territory with the Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index up 1.12% as global markets showed signs of stabilisation following a choppy start to the year.
Moderate levels of global economic activity coupled with a supportive monetary policy outlook led to a pro-risk environment in May which saw equities and bonds appreciate while volatility levels subsided. On a year-to-date basis, hedge funds are up 1.88% while the MSCI World Index has returned 2.63% in the first five months of 2014. Billion dollar hedge funds tracked by Eurekahedge posted performance-based gains of US$6.6 billion in May while recording net asset inflows of US$1.0 billion as per preliminary figures. Since January 2013, these billion dollar hedge funds have delivered performance-based gains of almost US$70 billion while recording net asset allocations of US$161 billion.
Editing by Alex Akesson
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!