New York (HedgeCo.Net) – The Eurekahedge September Index Flash reports that hedge funds were up 1.36% in August, with preliminary figures showing that managers posted performance-based gains of US$5.5 billion during the month.
- Emerging markets and North America investing managers delivered the best year-to-date returns of 5.61% and 5.44% respectively.
- Hedge funds saw their largest net asset outflows for the year in July – with investors redeeming US$4.72 billion in mid-year withdrawals.
- India focused hedge funds posted their seventh consecutive month of gains, up 1.92% in August and 28.17% year-to-date.
- Eastern Europe and Russia investing funds lost 1.35% during the month, and are down 5.96% year-to-date – the worst performer among all regional mandates.
- Fixed income hedge fund strategies were up 0.28% in August, posting their 12th consecutive month of gains. Year-to-date they have increased 4.49%.
- Japanese hedge funds posted their fourth consecutive month of gains, outperforming the benchmark Nikkei 225 index by over 7% year-to-date.
Modest growth figures emerging out of the US and accommodative policies from central banks triggered another wave of investor optimism which pushed equity markets higher and volatility back down in August. Even while the Fed was debating over the timing of rate hikes, the ECB embarked on its quantitative easing program in earnest as the region continued to mire in low growth and inflation.
Editing by Alex Akesson
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!