New York (HedgeCo.Net) – Despite mixed returns, hedge funds grew assets under management by US$105.6 billion in the first half of 2014 bringing the current AUM of the global hedge fund industry to a record high of US$2.12 trillion, according to the July 2014 Eurekahedge Report.
- Net flows into global hedge funds totalled US$65.3 billion in the first half of 2014, closely trailing the US$67.0 billion inflows during the same period last year.
- European hedge funds attracted US$31.3 billion in net asset flows in the first half of 2014, up from US$15.9 billion over the same period last year.
- North American managers posted performance-based gains of US$29.6 billion while recording net asset flows of US$ 31.4 billion as at June-2014 year-to-date.
- Long/short equity hedge funds recorded their strongest mid-year asset flow numbers since H1 2006 – with net capital allocations of US$51.6 billion June year-to-date.
- New fund launches in Asia dropped in the first half of 2014 compared to the same period last year, with 40 hedge fund start-ups this year versus 70 in the previous year.
- North American multi-strategy and fixed income managers have performed consistently well this year, reporting gains of 8.33% and 6.35% respectively without a single losing month.
- India long/short equity funds returned another 5.69% in June, bringing their H1 2014 returns up to an impressive 32.81%.
- CTA/managed futures hedge funds recorded US$9.1 billion of outflows as of H1 2014, witnessing only one month of positive inflows in the last 12 months.
Hedge funds followed global equity markets higher to close 1.25% up by the end of June, with the Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index reaching another new high during the month. Global equity markets saw another month of broad-based gains in June, with the strongest performers being Asia Pacific and Latin America for the emerging economies and North America for developed economies.
Editing by Alex Akesson
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!