New York (HedgeCo.Net) – In the May issue, The Eurekahedge Report found that hedge funds were up 0.78% year-to-date, with total assets of the global hedge fund industry at a new high of $2.09 trillion, with net asset inflows for April 2014 year-to-date totaling $52.4 billion. $2.7 billion higher than for the same period last year.
Funds of hedge funds have outperformed hedge funds in seven out of the past 15 months, with North American funds of hedge fund managers up 6.42% over the past 12 months, surpassing the Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index by 1.85% while maintaining a lower annualised volatility.
Other highlights Include:
- The Eurekahedge North America Hedge Fund Index is up 2.20% year-to-date, with fund managers having delivered performance-based gains of $16.0 billion while recording net asset inflows of $25.4 billion in Q1 2014 – the strongest performance among all regional mandates.
- The Eurekahedge Billion Dollar Hedge Fund Club posted performance-based gains of $1.3 billion in April as larger hedge funds outperformed their smaller peers; delivering performance-based gains of $11.7 billion while seeing net capital inflows of $28.9 billion year-to-date.
- European funds recorded their 17th consecutive month of net asset inflows, with capital allocation of $24.3 billion year-to-date.
- Japanese hedge funds were down for the fourth consecutive month though they have outperformed the Nikkei 225 Index by more than 10% year-to-date; a significant outperformance.
- Distressed debt hedge funds have managed to stay in the black for the past eight months, with the highest year-to-date returns among all strategic mandates at 3.05%.
- India focused long/short equities funds have delivered the best gains among all regional mandates – up 7.33% year-to-date
The report showed that long/short equities funds recorded their 17th consecutive month of positive net asset flows; net capital allocations at $46.9 billion year-to-date. Total assets in long/short equities hedge funds stand at $708.7 billion, close to their December 2007 historical high of $756 billion.
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!