New York (HedgeCo.Net) – With the Dodd-Frank rule becoming effective for certain swaps to be mandatory when traded on Swap Execution Facilities (SEFs), a new survey by IPC Systems finds that the hedge fund industry is underprepared to meet the requirements of these new regulations.
The survey highlights the state of the industry’s preparedness for this new SEF model and potential impact on the OTC derivatives markets.
Key findings include:
- 60 percent of survey respondents said the industry was behind on meeting the deadlines on SEF trading.
- 39 percent of survey respondents said their firms were behind on meeting the deadlines on SEF trading.
- 77 percent of survey respondents believe that the launch of SEFs will have an impact on trading volumes and sizes.
- 61 percent of survey respondents expect to see a shift to the futures market due to the regulations.
- 27 percent of survey respondents expect the importance and value of the OTC Derivatives market to grow.
- 42 percent of survey respondents plan to start OTC derivative trading during 2014.
“Over the last year, we have seen a lot of activity from financial firms that have been looking for additional or new network connectivity to many of the already registered SEFs or OTFs through Connexus, our Financial extranet,” said Ganesh Iyer, Director, Product Marketing, Financial Market Network at IPC. “While the survey results suggest that the industry is underprepared for mandated SEF trading, we see this issue as more of a fear of uncertainty around industry-wide implementation and regulatory governance. Individual firms, SEFs and their equivalent platforms are already planning connectivity, systems and processes to be ready to meet the new trading requirements.”
The survey was conducted during FIA Chicago, from November 5-7, 2013, and generated responses from hedge funds, investment banks, broker/dealers, exchanges and other financial institutions. Respondents came from the front, middle, and back office and included people involved in both the business and technology sides of trading operations. Nearly all respondents planned or have already connected to multiple SEFs.
SEFs that the largest percentage of respondents said that they plan to connect to are CMEGroup, TeraExchange, Bloomberg, and Eurex.
The full survey report, titled “Market View 2014: OTC Derivatives Regulations and Swap Execution Facilities”, can be downloaded from IPC’s website.
Editor for HedgeCo.net
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!