New York (HedgeCo.Net) – The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index team today released its 2012 Hedge Fund Market Review . The report includes statistics on hedge fund performance and asset flows in 2012. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished December up 1.48%. Overall performance for 2012 was 7.67%;
- Though the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $31B in 2012, overall assets remained relatively stable at $1.8T when factoring in performance gains;
- The Fixed Income Arbitrage and Global Macro sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis in 2012, with inflows of 16.0% and 3.6%, respectively;
- A greater number of hedge fund managers posted positive performance in 2012, approximately 75% compared with about 35% in 2011;
- On an industry-wide basis, a larger percentage of asset inflows went to funds with monthly or better liquidity, suggesting greater investor demand for more liquidity; and
Overall, hedge funds, as represented by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, continued to provide positive risk-adjusted returns relative to other strategies.