New York (HedgeCo.Net) – January’s issue of The Eurekahedge Report focuses on the global hedge fund industry which currently stands at US$2.13 trillion. Along with regular coverage of monthly returns, performance and asset flows, this month report features a special section on Indian hedge funds and an interview with Gen2 Partners. Gain insights into the investment philosophy of APS Asset Management (US$3 billion in AUM) and the reasons for their strong performance during 2008 to 2009 as candidly shared by founder Wong Kok Hoi, with Eurekahedge’s CEO Alexander Mearns in this new video interview series.
The Eurekahedge Asian Hedge Fund Awards 2015 will be returning for its 11th year on 22 May at Capella Singapore. For sponsorship details or table reservations, please contact your account manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlights from this month’s report
- The total AUM of the industry grew by US$125.9 billion in 2014 – well below the levels seen in 2013 when industry assets grew by US$240.4 billion.
- Net asset inflows for the year stand at US$37.7 billion, less than a third of the inflows recorded in 2013. Inflows for 1H 2014 stood at US$75.8 billion while 2H 2014 has seen net outflows of US$38.1 billion.
- Asia ex-Japan investing funds delivered the best returns globally and were up 9.36% for the year, outperforming the MSCI Asia ex Japan Index by almost 600 basis points.
- CTA/managed futures funds reported performance-based gains of US$24.0 billion for the year – their highest annual gain since 2008, led by North American CTAs with year-to-date returns of 10.00%.
- Featured this month is the Eurekahedge Special Report on Indian hedge funds where we query managers about their winning themes, investor interest in their offerings and their biggest worries for 2015. India investing long/short equity hedge funds are up 54.83% for the year – outperforming the BSE Sensex by almost 25%.
- While the average hedge fund returned 4.46% in 2014 year-to-date, Eurekahedge data shows that the top 10, 50 and 100 best performing hedge funds gained 128.33%, 65.32% and 48.47% on average over the same period. For details please refer to the 2014 Overview: Key Trends in Global Hedge Funds Report.