New York (HedgeCo.Net) – The $360 billion European hedge funds industry has witnessed a remarkable rebound of 31% returns over 2009 and 2010 according to the October edition of The Eurekahedge Report. However, since that time the prevailing conditions in the region have led to negative flows and a challenging environment.
Other highlights from this month’s report include:
- The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index is up 4.20% year-to-date with over 1,000 funds up more than 10% and 500 funds up more than 15%
- Asia ex-Japan managers gained 3.69% in September with Indian hedge funds delivering the best returns of 8.02%
- Revised figures for August show that investors allocated $16.8 billion to the industry during the month
- Assets in North American hedge funds crossed $1.2 trillion in September and are expected to reach an historical high by December 2012
- The Mizuho-Eurekahedge Asia ex-Japan Index rose 4.14% in September
- Launch activity picked up with nearly 200 funds launched in 3Q 2012
September was another winning month for hedge funds as the sector posted its third consecutive month of positive returns. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was up 1.02% in September and 2.63% for 3Q 2012 while September year-to-date the index is up 4.23%. Global markets rallied strongly during the month on the back of monetary easing steps taken by governments – the MSCI World Index was up by 2.29% during the month.