New York (HedgeCo.Net) – The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 1.42% in July. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of July.
Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished July up 1.42%, with 8 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $8.5 billion in July, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.75 trillion;
- The Equity Market Neutral and Fixed Income Arbitrage sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis for the second consecutive month, with inflows in July of 3.03% and 0.22% from June 2012 levels, respectively;
- Managed Futures funds posted positive results in July, with the month almost a mirror image of June in which managers were able to recoup the previous months’ losses and rebuild positions according to stronger signals; and
- Event Driven funds generated overall positive performance in July against the backdrop of European sovereign debt issues and growth concerns in developed economies. M&A activity experienced a slight uptick in newly announced transaction volume in July and credit strategies generated gains during the month as a result of supportive technical strength and improved risk sentiment.