New York (HedgeCo.Net) - Hedge funds suffered losses this month according to the new Eurekahedge report. ”Hedge funds recorded negative returns in June ending their seven month winning run, as global markets witnessed broad based declines during the month.”
Total assets under management were down by $20.94 billion – the sector witnessed net negative asset flows of $2.12 billion while losing $18.82 billion through performance based losses. The total size of the industry now stands at $1.89 trillion.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Hedge funds end their 7 month winning streak, down 0.69% in June
- Assets under management declined by $21 billion in June and currently stand at $1.89 trillion
- Launch activity picks up with more than 300 funds launched so far in the year
- Eurekahedge is currently tracking more than 500 funds that have delivered over 15% year-to-date and 250 funds that are up by over 20% year-to-date
- Distressed debt funds end 11-month winning run after gaining 21% from June 2012 to May 2013
- CTA/ managed futures funds in negative territory for the year, down 1.35% year-to-date
- Updated figures for May show that the industry grew by $28 billion during the month
- AUM of North American hedge funds currently at $1.29 trillion, expected to cross historical high of $1.3 trillion by end June
- North American and fixed income hedge funds witness largest performance-based declines in almost 2 years
- Hedge funds post largest monthly loss in one year; long/short equity funds end twelve month winning streak
The benchmark Eurekahedge Hedge Fund index declined 0.69% in June while the MSCI World Index was down 3.10% over the month.
Editing by Alex Akesson
HedgeCo.Net is a premier hedge fund database and community for qualified and accredited investors only. Membership in HedgeCo.net is FREE and EASY. We also offer FREE LISTINGS for Hedge Funds!