New York (HedgeCo.Net) – Hedge funds and UCITS hedge funds sector are currently standing at US$536 billion and US$215 billion respectively, EurekaHedge reports.
Highlights from this month’s report:
- 1Q 2013 witnessed positive asset flows of US$20 billion with hedge funds attracting assets in all three months
- North American hedge funds hit highest AUM on record with total assets standing at US$1.25 trillion
- The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was up 0.94% in March and 3.21% in 1Q 2013
- Japanese hedge funds witnessed the strongest quarter on record, up 10.80% in 1Q 2013
- Launch activity picks up in 2013 with nearly 200 funds launched so far in the year
- Asia ex-Japan and European hedge funds outperformed underlying markets by 0.98% and 0.80% respectively
- Distressed debt was the best performing strategy in 1Q 2013, up 5.41% year-to-date
Hedge funds posted positive returns in March, amid divergent trends in global markets. The benchmark Eurekahedge Hedge Fund index was up 0.69%1 while the MSCI World Index was up 1.76%2 over the month. Total assets under management were up by US$9.19 billion during March and the sector witnessed net positive asset flows of US$2.20 billion along with profits of US$6.99 billion through performance-based gains. The total size of the industry now stands at US$1.83 trillion.