Once you’ve decided to adopt cloud computing, it’s time to begin your search for a cloud services provider.
Likely, the first you will come across when looking for a cloud service provider is that there are many cloud service providers (CSP) out there. So, how do you know which provider is the right one for your investment firm? Following are five attributes to look for when vetting a cloud consultant:
- Depth and Quality of Staff
- Strong Communication Skill
- A Proven Strategy
- Experience in Cloud Deployment
- Deep Security Knowledge
Another key to success when choosing your CSP lies in the answers to the questions below.
- Does the vendor’s service allow for easy scalability and the quick addition of resources, including CPU, memory, storage and bandwidth? What is the ability to remove these resources when they are no longer being used?
- Does the cloud infrastructure feature an N+1 configuration to tolerate any single equipment failure and ensure high availability?
- Does the vendor provide dedicated or shared resources within the cloud? Will a client’s data be isolated from that of other clients who reside in the same cloud?
- Does the cloud provider offer disaster recovery services as part of their offering? If so, how often are those DR systems tested?
- Which technology vendors have applications operating within the cloud? What certification levels does the cloud provider have with these technology partners?
- Does the cloud provider own their own equipment?
- Is the data center SAS70 certified?
- What type of security and monitoring practices are in place in the data center? What is the size and experience of the security team? Have there been any past breaches?
- Is the data center located far enough away (geographically) from the production environment to ensure that there will be minimal impact in a disaster situation, but close enough to maintain a high-speed connection?
- Is the cloud infrastructure backed by a Service Level Agreement (SLA) that ensures top performance and uptime? What SLAs does the CSP offer?
Once you have asked the cloud service providers these questions, be sure to then evaluate and find the best fit for your investment firm.
Here are some articles to help you better understand cloud computing
- Blog: Moving to the Cloud? Here Is What You Should Know
- Whitepaper: Securing the Public Cloud: What’s Required?
- Video: Cloud Security Defined: The Required Safeguards for 2019